Developed by CBDC, the Get on Board Governance Education Program is the fastest growing and most affordable program of its kind. The CBDC mandate includes equipping board-ready and high-potential candidates with the tools to pursue board placements. The Get on Board (GoB) program helps you:
- Prepare for the boardrooms of tomorrow
- Build your board credentials
- Improve your ability to work with diverse colleagues
- Learn the fundamentals of board governance
- Prepare your board résumé
- Engage with industry leaders and directors
- Connect with board recruitment professionals
Participating in Get on Board will not only make you a better board member, but also a better leader. Gain the tools you need to help change the face of Corporate Canada by registering for the Get on Board Governance Education Program today. There are two levels of training provided by CBDC. Detailed information about each level is outlined below.
|Level||Non-Members||Founding & Corporate Member||Not-for-Profit and/or Public Sector Employee/Director|
|Level I||$1,745.00 plus applicable taxes||$1,245.00 plus applicable taxes||$1,745.00 plus applicable taxes|
|Level II||$7,995.00 plus applicable taxes||$5,995.00 plus applicable taxes||$4,695.00 plus applicable taxes|
There is a $95 application fee for Level I and a $250 application fee for Level II. To see if you are eligible for Founding and Corporate Member Pricing, click here
Alumni Advantage for Level II: We want to help continue your learning pathway at Get on Board! Simply indicate you are an alumni in the corresponding field within the application form and receive the cost of Level I (Corporate and Founding Member Price) off of your registration for Level II!
Refer a Friend: If you refer a friend to attend the program, you and the friend will both receive corporate and founding member pricing. To qualify participants must register within 5 days of each other. To enter, please include referral information on the application in the box indicated.
Offers cannot be combined.
Refunds will be given for cancellations received in writing to email@example.com no later than 20 days before the start date of the Series subject to an administrative fee of $150 (plus applicable taxes). No refunds will be provided for cancellations received less than 10 days before the start date of the course. Non-attendance will incur the full course fee. Should the CBDC need to cancel or postpone a Series, applicants will be issued a full refund.
LEVEL I – For Aspiring Directors
The 4-session 20 hour series is for individuals in management or professional roles with little or no board experience who are interested in serving on a not-for-profit board.
Level I is designed to prepare you to serve in the boardrooms of tomorrow. This level is for aspiring directors with little or no board experience. The ideal candidate includes high potential individuals, emerging leaders and/or employees who interact with their company board.
The Level I curriculum delivers foundation level governance knowledge. Each module is facilitated by top tier facilitators. Ten modules cover the following topics: Unconscious Bias, Diversity in Governance, Key Responsibilities and Decision Making, Governance, Finance, Risk Management, Duties and Liabilities, Recruitment Process, Directors’ Panel, Preparation of your Personal Action Plan and Board Résumé. The curriculum will enable you to join a not-for-profit board as an effective director and develop your skills in working with boards.
Level I completion
To complete Level I, you are required to:
- Apply and be accepted into the Level I CBDC Get on Board Governance Education Program
- Pay all fees
- Attend all session series classes and complete within 12 months of starting
- Non-members: $1,745 + applicable taxes
- Founding and Corporate Members: $1,245 + applicable taxes
There is a $95 application fee, plus applicable taxes.
LEVEL II – For Experienced Directors
Become a Fellow in Board Governance (FBG)
The 5-session 27 hour series is for more experienced directors. Ideal candidates have 10+ years of management/professional experience and small/medium not-for-profit board experience, who are interested in joining a national not-for-profit, Crown Corporation, Advisory and/or small/medium private company board.
Level II is designed to prepare you to serve in the boardrooms of tomorrow. You must have completed the Level I CBDC GoB program*. In addition, you should have accumulated 24 months of experience in board governance by:
- Serving on a Crown Corporation, not-for-profit (NFP), non-governmental (NGO) or for-profit corporation board; and/or
- Serving on an Advisory Board; and/or
- Serving as an elected official at the municipal, provincial or federal level; and/or
- Reporting to a Board or a Board committee. For example, regularly reporting to the Audit committee of a Board or acting as a Corporate Secretary.
*In select situations, equivalency may be granted if you have not completed the Level I CBDC GoB program. You can seek exemption from the Level I program, but must meet the following requirements:
- Board service in excess of:
- 36 months on a NFP, NGO or Crown Corporation Board; and/or
- 12 months on a publicly traded For Profit Board; and/or
- 36 months on an Advisory Board.
The Level II is an intense learning experience, where in-depth curriculum will be covered. The higher admission criteria creates a high calibre learning environment, fostered by rich, fulsome dialogue between participants. Each module is facilitated by top tier facilitators who are experienced board members, academics and other governance professionals. Eleven modules cover the following topics: Unconscious Bias, Diversity in Governance, Governance, Finance, Risk Management, Duties and Liabilities, Key Responsibilities and Decision Making, Leading Boardrooms of Tomorrow, Recruitment Process, Directors’ Panel and Preparation of Your Personal Action Plan and Board Résumé. You will work through three real life case studies, participate in a mock board meeting and learn about the board recruitment process from national executive search firm.
A full session is dedicated to Governance allowing for deeper discussion into the current and prevailing themes in governance. Participants will gain insight into topics that include, but are not limited to shareholder engagement, executive compensation, and the impact of technology on governance. The new module, Leading Boardrooms of Tomorrow, provides a thorough examination of navigating board dynamics from the point of onboarding to the role of boards in strategy development. Participants will apply their learning through a mock board meeting.
Level II Certification
As of fall 2015, CBDC will grant certification upon completion of the program requirements: Fellow in Board Governance (FBG) to Level II program graduates. In order to ensure a baseline knowledge is attained, you will be required to take a final exam. This exam will test for a minimum standard of knowledge and skill in the areas of:
- Board member duties and liabilities
- Board governance and operations
- Ethical behaviour and decision making
- Finance and risk management
- Board dynamics in diverse boardrooms
- Current trends in board governance
In addition to the above, you are required to:
- Have successfully completed Level I CBDC Get on Board or equivalent
- Completed a minimum of 24 months of accumulated experience in board governance
- Attend all session series classes and complete within 12 months of starting
- Complete the Level II exam and achieve a passing score. (Passing score will be determined by the Council)
- Sign the declaration for Level II certification at the time of application
Once certified you are expected to be “in good standing” with the CBDC. “Good standing” refers to timely payment of all fees and commitment to continuing education.
What obligations am I committed to adhere to as a Level II program graduate?
Level II program graduates are expected to:
- Act with integrity, obeying all applicable laws that govern their duties as a board director
- Uphold the principles of diversity as put forth by CBDC, seeking to increase the diversity of thinking and membership on boards where they serve
- Perform their director duties with due care and professional judgement in a manner that reflects positively on the certification
- Demonstrate honesty, fairness and confidentiality consistent with their board obligations
- Non-Member: $7,995 + applicable taxes
- Founding & Corporate Member: $5,995 + applicable taxes
- Not-for-Profit and/or Public Sector Employee/Director: $4,695 + applicable taxes
There is a $250 application fee, plus applicable taxes.
In extraordinary circumstances, the CBDC reserves the right to grant Level II certification upon individuals who meet the following criteria:
- Experience in board governance is of the highest calibre
- Education from highly respected institutions has been successfully completed
- Extoll the highest understanding and value of diversity in board governance
Who can I speak to for more information?
Please contact Alexis Dawson, Manager, Programs, Canadian Board Diversity Council – 416-361-1475 x 226